(all prices are for AAA members)

 

Busch Gardens

1 Busch Gardens Blvd. , Williamsburg, VA 23185 USA

Phone: (800) 343-7946

 

Williamsburg, VA

Busch Gardens Williamsburg, 3 mi. e. on US 60 or off I-64 exit 242A, is a European-themed adventure park with a 17th-century flair, more than 40 thrill rides, shows and a children's adventure area. Nine European hamlets celebrate the cultures of England, Scotland, France, Germany, Italy and Ireland. The pulse-quickening Apollo's Chariot plummets 825 feet, and the inverted coaster Alpengeist takes “skiers” on a chilling ride at speeds up to 67 mph. Loch Ness Monster, a serpentine ride, has double interlocking loops. The Big Bad Wolf, a free-flight coaster, flies through a Bavarian village.R.L. Stine's Haunted Lighthouse 4-D is an immersive film experience with visual and multi-sensory effects. Youngsters will enjoy Dumphrey and his dragon friends in a musical adventure area. Other musical shows include American Jukebox.Roman Rapids is a white-water raft ride, and Escape from Pompeii, with an erupting Mt. Vesuvius, results in a wet retreat from the volcano. Jack Hanna's Wild Reserve is an up-close visit with wolves. Ireland is celebrated with strolling entertainers; Irish Thunder, a dance and musical show; the 3-D action journey Corkscrew Hill; and the musical/special effects show Enchanted Castle of Duneen.

Admission:  Admission $46.99; ages 3-6, $39.99. Multi-day and combination tickets with Water Country USA are available. Rates may vary; phone ahead. Parking $8-$12

Hours:   Park open daily at 10, early May-Labor Day; closing times vary. Park open at 10, late Mar.-early May and day after Labor Day-late Oct.; days and closing times vary. Phone ahead to confirm schedule

Credit Cards:   AE, DS, MC, VI

 

 

Mariners’ Museum

100 Museum Dr. , Newport News, VA 23606 USA

Phone: (757) 596-2222

 

Mariners' Museum is s. on Warwick Blvd. (US 60) or exit 258A from I-64, following signs to 100 Museum Dr. Dedicated to preserving and interpreting the heritage of the sea, the museum features some 35,000 maritime artifacts, including ship models, figureheads, scrimshaw, decorative arts, rare books, maps and navigational instruments. The Defending the Seas gallery explores the history of the U.S. Navy using re-created sections of military ships, including the deck of an aircraft carrier and a mock turret of the Civil War ironclad USS Monitor. Other exhibits include the Chesapeake Bay Gallery, the Crabtree Collection of Miniature Ships, the Great Hall of Steam, artifacts from the USS Monitor and a gallery devoted to naval architect William Francis Gibbs, designer of the superliner SS United States. The museum is in a 550-acre park with a picnic area, a 5-mile walking trail and a lake available for fishing. Ships' propellers and sculptures are among the artifacts on the grounds. Allow 2 hours minimum.

Admission:  Admission $7; over 64, ages 6-17 and active military with ID $5

Hours:   Daily 10-5; closed Thanksgiving and Dec. 25. Tours are available Mon.-Fri. at 11 and 1:30; phone ahead to confirm schedule

Credit Cards:   AE, MC, VI

 

 

Water Country USA

176 Water Country Pkwy., Williamsburg, VA 23185 USA

Phone: (800) 343-7946

 

Water Country USA is 3 mi. w. off I-64 exit 242B on SR 199. This 320-acre water park features more than 35 water rides and slides as well as live entertainment. The park blends high-tech thrills, water elements and an interactive children's play area with a 1950s and 1960s surf theme. Hubba Hubba Highway is a free-floating interactive river ride where coconuts, cactus and geysers provide a drenching experience. Meltdown provides a high-speed toboggan race down a flume full of twists, turns and banks. Visitors can dare the darkness at Malibu Pipeline; experience Aquazoid, a special-effect family white-water rafting ride; dive down five stories of white water at Big Daddy Falls; and plunge downward into a hydrochute on Lemon Drop. Peppermint Twist features a tangle of tubes, while Nitro Racer's super-speed slide stirs up the water. Other rides include Jet Scream; Rampage; Surfer's Bay, a wave pool; H2O UFO; Cow-A-Bunga; and Kids' Kingdom/Adventure Island. Divers, trampolinists and acrobats perform in the gymnastic and dive show Aquallenium. Entertainment is available at United We Soar, a 20-minute show featuring divers, acrobats and trampoline artists. Food is available.

Admission:  All-inclusive admission $34.99; ages 3-6, $27.99. Multi-day and combination tickets with Busch Gardens Williamsburg are available. Rates may vary; phone ahead. Parking $8-$12

Hours:   Park open daily at 10, late May-Aug. 31; Sat.-Sun. at 10, early May-late May and early Sept. to mid-Sept. Closing times vary. Schedule may vary; phone ahead

Credit Cards:   AE, DS, MC, VI

 

 

Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum

307 S. England St. ,Williamsburg, VA 23187 USA

Phone: (800) 261-9523

 

Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum is just s. of the historic area between Williamsburg Inn and Williamsburg Lodge at 307 S. England St. One of the finest folk art collections in America, the museum offers several permanent galleries displaying folk-art objects made in America during the 18th through 20th centuries. Exhibits include paintings, drawings, toys, weather vanes, pottery and furniture.

Admission:  Admission included with Colonial Williamsburg multiple admission tickets

Hours:   Daily 10-4; closed for exhibition changes

 

 

Bacon’s Castle

465 Bacon's Castle Tr., Surry, VA 23883 USA

Phone: (757) 357-5976

 

Bacon's Castle is 7 mi. e. on SR 10 following signs. The 1665 house is one of few surviving examples of Jacobean architecture in America. Its Flemish curvilinear gables, triple chimney stacks and cruciform design are architectural features that are virtually extinct. A 17th-century garden is next to the castle. A 13-minute videotape explains the history of the house, which is furnished with 17th- and 18th-century antiques. Guided tours are available.

Admission:  Admission $7; over 65, $5; college students with ID and ages 6-18, $4

Hours:   Tues.-Sat. 10-4, Sun. noon-4 Apr.-Oct.; Sat. 10-4, Sun. noon-4, in Mar. and Nov.

 

 

Bassett Hall

522 E. Francis St. Williamsburg, VA 23187 USA

Phone: (757) 220-7645

 

Bassett Hall is at 522 E. Francis St. This was the Williamsburg home of John D. and Abby Aldrich Rockefeller. The 18th-century house, named for Martha Washington's nephew, Burwell Bassett, who owned it 1800-39, is furnished to reflect the Rockefellers' lifestyle during the 1930s, when they were instrumental in restoring Colonial Williamsburg. A 10-minute videotape presentation precedes a tour of the house and grounds. Allow 30 minutes minimum.

Admission:  Admission included with Colonial Williamsburg multiple admission tickets. Reservations are required

Hours:   Thurs.-Tues. 9-5

 

 

The Battlefield Site

Ballard St. & Bacon St., Yorktown, VA 23690 USA

 

The Battlefield Site is on the eastern end of the Colonial Pkwy. Encampment areas and siege works are preserved at the Yorktown site, which includes Moore House, where the terms of surrender were negotiated. Rebuilt fortifications include Fusiliers' Redoubt of the British, Grand French Battery and Redoubt No. 9. British Redoubt No. 10, partially reconstructed, is thought to be where the allied commanders signed the articles of surrender. The positions of the armies during the siege are marked.

 

 

Bruton Parish Church

201 Duke of Gloucester St., Williamsburg, VA 23185 USA

Phone: (757) 229-2891

 

Bruton Parish Church is at the n.w. corner of Duke of Gloucester St. and the Palace Green. Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin, rector of this church in the early 1900s, approached John D. Rockefeller with the idea of preserving Colonial Williamsburg. The church itself was erected 1712-15 to replace an earlier building and has been restored. The bell in the tower, rung for many important events since 1761, still rings for services.

Admission:  Free

Hours:   Guided tours are conducted Mon.-Sat. 9-5, Sun. 1-5 (also Thurs. at 8 p.m. during the summer). Candlelight recitals are given Tues. and Sat. at 8 p.m. during the summer

 

 

The Capitol

Williamsburg, VA

 

The Capitol is at the e. end of Duke of Gloucester St. Completed in 1705, the Capitol was destroyed by fire in 1747. Reconstruction lasted until 1753, but this second building also burned. The 1705 Capitol has been rebuilt on its original foundations and furnished in period. Rare portraits of George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and James Madison are displayed.

Admission:  Admission included with Colonial Williamsburg multiple admission tickets

Hours:   Daily 9-5, with extended hours during peak seasons. Holiday hours may vary. Dancing, entertainment and other evening programs take place on a varying schedule

 

 

Chippokes Plantation State Park

695 Chippokes Park Rd.,  Surry, VA 23883 USA

Phone: (757) 294-3625

 

Chippokes Plantation State Park is 1.5 mi. e. via SR 10, then 3 mi. n. on CR 634. A working farm since the early 1600s, this estate on the James River retains a plantation atmosphere. Old mulberry trees, remnants of America's attempt to establish a silk industry, grow throughout the park. An interpretive tour road and hiking and bicycle trails explore the grounds. The Farm and Forestry Museum contains antique farm and forestry equipment that help detail the area's history.

Admission:  Combination pass for mansion and museum $6; ages 6-12, $3. Parking $3 Sat.-Sun. and holidays, Apr.-Oct.; $2 other days. Parking fees vary during events.

Hours:   Tours of the 1854 mansion are given Fri.-Mon. 1-5, Memorial Day-Labor Day; Sat.-Sun. 1-5, first weekend in Apr.-day before Memorial Day and day after Labor Day-last weekend in Oct. Museum open Wed.-Sun. and holidays 10-5, Memorial Day-Labor Day; Sat.-Sun. 10-5, first weekend in Apr.-day before Memorial Day and day after Labor Day-last weekend in Oct.

 

 

College of William and Mary

204 S. Boundry St., Williamsburg, VA 23187 USA

 

College of William and Mary is at the w. end of Duke of Gloucester St. Harvard is the only U.S. college older than William and Mary. Chartered by King William III and Queen Mary II of England in 1693, the state university numbers among its alumni three presidents—Thomas Jefferson, James Monroe and John Tyler.

 

 

Colonial Williamsburg Historic Area

Williamsburg, VA

 

Colonial Williamsburg Historic Area encompasses a historic district one mile long and a quarter mile wide. This living-history museum of exhibition buildings and period interpreters re-creates the spirit and culture of everyday life in the 18th-century capital of Virginia. After 1780, when Richmond became Virginia's capital, Williamsburg reverted to the status of a quiet college town. Fearing that many of its historic buildings would be lost, a local minister persuaded John D. Rockefeller Jr. to finance the restoration of the Colonial town. In 1926 the two men embarked on an ambitious project with architects, archeologists and historians to preserve some 70 structures. Partly restored and partly re-created, Colonial Williamsburg is a step back in time to the 18th century, where costumed interpreters—tradespeople, housewives, slaves, freemen, governmental officials, soldiers—go about their everyday duties. Many of the buildings can be visited on a self-guiding basis, while others are open by guided tour. Pets on leashes are permitted in the area, but they may not enter exhibition buildings, restaurants or the theater.

Admission:  Admission tickets, which are required to enter most buildings and to ride the shuttle, are available at the Visitor Center (see Visitor Center box), the Greenhow Lumber House ticket office on Duke of Gloucester Street and at Merchants Square Information Station.

Hours:   Various performances depicting aspects of Colonial life take place daily throughout the historic area.

 

 

Courthouse of 1770

Williamsburg, Virginia

 

Courthouse of 1770 is on Duke of Gloucester St., e. of the Palace Green. Costumed interpreters demonstrate the workings of local 18th-century government and justice, culminating in a re-enactment of a typical courtroom proceeding. A brief background of Colonial law and the building's history also is provided.

Admission:  Admission included with Colonial Williamsburg multiple admission tickets

Hours:   Tues.-Sun. 9-5, with extended hours during peak seasons. Holiday hours may vary

 

 

DeWitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum

325 W. Francis St., Williamsburg, VA 23187 USA

Phone: (757) 220-7645

 

DeWitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum is entered through the lobby of the Public Hospital. An underground introductory gallery opens into a two-story atrium and the main galleries. On the second-floor balcony are life-size portraits of King George III and George Washington. Although similar in style, these two paintings present dramatic differences in interpretation, a fact shared by many of the museum's collection of more than 10,000 decorative objects dating 1600-1830.The different regional renditions and techniques in American furniture, ceramics, metalwork, paintings, textiles, maps and prints become evident as many of these objects stand side by side with their English counterparts. The broad scope of the collection gives a detailed picture of the furnishings and lifestyle of 18th-century Williamsburg. Food is available.

Admission:  Admission included with Colonial Williamsburg multiple admission tickets

Hours:   Daily 11-6, with extended hours during peak seasons

 

 

Discovery, Godspeed and Susan Constant

SR31S, Jamestown, VA 23081 USA

 

Discovery, Godspeed and Susan Constant are moored in the James River near the re-created fort. The ships are reproductions of the 17th-century sailing vessels that transported the first settlers to Virginia in 1607. Costumed interpreters discuss the 4-month voyage and 17th-century shipboard life.

Admission:  Admission included with Jamestown Settlement

 

 

Endview Plantation

362 Yorktown Rd., Newport News, VA 23603 USA

Phone: (757) 887-1862

 

Endview Plantation is at 362 Yorktown Rd. Over the span of three wars, the plantation served soldiers as a hospital and training grounds. A spring attracted 3,000 militia during the Revolutionary War. Visitors may explore the cemetery and battlefield on the grounds. Guided tours are available. Allow 30 minutes minimum.

Admission:  Admission $6; over 62, $5; ages 7-17, $4

Hours:   Mon. and Wed.-Sat. 10-4, Sun. 1-5; closed Jan. 1, Easter, Thanksgiving and Dec. 25

 

 

Governor’s Palace

300 Palace Green St., Williamsburg, VA 23187 USA

 

Governor's Palace faces the Palace Green. The palace was completed in 1722 under the supervision of Gov. Alexander Spotswood. He and six other royal governors resided here until 1775, when the last governor, Lord Dunmore, fled in the face of armed resistance to royal authority in the colony. It then served as the executive mansion for the commonwealth's first two governors, Patrick Henry and Thomas Jefferson, until the capital was moved to Richmond in 1780.The original building was destroyed by fire a year later while being used as a military hospital for soldiers wounded at Yorktown. The palace is reconstructed and furnished with rare period antiques. Its adjoining dependencies, gardens, courtyard and canal are all open to visitors.

Admission:  Admission included with Colonial Williamsburg multiple admission tickets

Hours:   Daily 9-5, with extended hours during peak seasons. Holiday hours may vary

 

 

Grace Episcopal Church

111 Church St., Yorktown, VA 23690 USA

Phone: (757) 898-3261

 

Grace Episcopal Church is on the eastern end of the Colonial Pkwy. at Yorktown Battlefield. Built of native marl about 1697, the church was used as a magazine during the siege of Yorktown. It was burned partially in 1814 but later rebuilt. Communion silver dating from 1649 is still in use. Among the graves in the churchyard is that of Thomas Nelson Jr., a signer of the Declaration of Independence.

Admission:  Free

Hours:   Daily 9-3:30

 

 

Historic Air Tours

102 Marclay Rd., Williamsburg, VA 23185 USA

Phone: (757) 229-7330

 

Historic Air Tours depart from Williamsburg-Jamestown Airport at 102 Marclay Rd. An aerial perspective of historic sights is available on a choice of narrated air tours—Historic Triangle, James River and Hampton Roads. All tours include Williamsburg and Jamestown Island.

Admission:  Fares $45-$60. Under 6 are not permitted. Reservations are recommended

Hours:   Flights range from 35 minutes to 1 hour. Departures require a minimum of two passengers. Departures daily 9-dusk

Credit Cards:   AE, MC, VI

 

 

Historic Trades Sites

Williamsburg, Virginia

 

The Historic Trades Sites are throughout Colonial Williamsburg. The arts, trades and crafts of the old town are revived by costumed tradespeople who explain and skillfully demonstrate 200-year-old methods of the apothecary, basketmaker, blacksmith, brickmaker, cabinetmaker, carpenter, cooper, founder, gunsmith, miller, milliner, printer and binder, saddler and harnessmaker, shoemaker, silversmith, weaver, wheelwright and wigmaker.

Admission:  Admission included with Colonial Williamsburg multiple admission tickets

Hours:   The sites are open daily 9-5. Some outdoor trades are demonstrated (weather permitting). Hours may vary, depending on the season

 

 

House of Burgesses Monument

1 Colonial Parkway

Jamestown, VA 23081

 

House of Burgesses Monument is on the western end of the Colonial Pkwy.  The names of the members of the first representative legislature in America are listed.

 

 

Hunt Shrine

1 Colonial Parkway

Jamestown, VA 23081

 

Hunt Shrine is on the western end of the Colonial Pkwy.  Rev. Robert Hunt is credited with celebrating the first recorded Anglican Service in Virginia in 1607.

 

 

James Fort

SR 31S, Jamestown, VA 23081 USA

 

James Fort is at Jamestown Settlement. The fort is a re-creation of the three-cornered, palisaded structure that was home to the first Jamestown settlers. Wattle-and-daub structures, including a church, the governor's house, a storehouse and an armory, represent the town's earliest residences and public buildings. Costumed interpreters demonstrate gardening, cooking, carpentry, blacksmithing and military activities. Visitors can try on armor and play games of quoits and ninepins.

Admission:  Admission included with Jamestown Settlement

 

 

James Geddy House and Foundry

107 W. Duke of Gloucester St., Williamsburg, VA 23187 USA

 

James Geddy House and Foundry is at Duke of Gloucester St. and the Palace Green. The house was built in the 1760s. James Geddy Jr. operated a silversmith business here; a foundry and 18th-century furnishings can be seen.

Admission:  Admission included with Colonial Williamsburg multiple admission tickets

Hours:   Daily 9-5, with extended hours during peak seasons. Holiday hours may vary

 

 

Jamestown Island Explorer

2080 Jamestown Rd., Williamsburg, VA 23185 USA

Phone: (757) 259-0400

 

 departs from 2080 Jamestown Rd. at Jamestown Marina. Narrated, 1-hour nature cruises around Jamestown Island focus on wildlife and history. Sunset cruises lasting 1.5 hours also are offered. Food is available.

Admission:  Fare $12; over 59, $11; ages 7-15, $6

Hours:   Nature cruises depart daily at 11, 1, 3 and 5, June 12-Aug. 30; Tues.-Sun. at 11, 1 and 3, Apr.-June and Aug. 31-Oct. 25. , Credit Cards:   MC, VI

 

 

Jamestown National Historic Site

1 Colonial Pkwy. , Jamestown, VA 23081 USA

Phone: (757) 229-1733

 

Jamestown National Historic Site is on the western end of the Colonial Pkwy. America's first permanent English colony was founded here in 1607. Of the settlement's turn-of-the-17th-century structures, only the Old Church Tower survives. Archeologists have exposed ruins and original foundations on the 22.5-acre site, creating an approximate diagram of the original settlement. Some of the more than 350,000 artifacts excavated are displayed at the 1907 Dale House.

Admission:  Admission $6 (good for 7 days), under 17 free

Hours:   The Jamestown entrance station is open daily 8:30-4:30. Dale House and excavation open site daily 10-4. Closed Dec. 25

 

 

Jamestown Settlement

Jamestown, VA USA

Phone: (757) 253-4838

 

Jamestown Settlement is on SR 31 next to the Jamestown National Historic Site. The settlement was re-created in 1957 to celebrate the 350th anniversary of Jamestown's founding. An indoor museum features a 15-minute film and gallery exhibits focusing on the conditions that led to England's colonizing the New World, the history and culture of the Powhatan Indians and a review of Jamestown's first 100 years. Three outdoor living history areas, replicas of three ships, a Colonial fort and a Powhatan Indian village provide a glimpse of life during the early 1600s. A riverfront discovery area explores European, Powhatan and African economic activities associated with water. Special events are celebrated throughout the year, including Thanksgiving weekend's Food and Feasts of Colonial Virginia. Allow 2 hours minimum.

Admission:  Admission $11.25; ages 6-12, $5.50. Combination ticket with Yorktown Victory Center $16.75; ages 6-12, $8.25

Hours:   Museum and outdoor exhibits open daily 9-6, June 15-Aug. 15, 9-5, rest of year. Closed Jan. 1 and Dec. 25

 

 

Jamestown Visitor Center

1 Colonial Pkwy., Jamestown, VA 23081 USA

Phone: (757) 229-1733

 

Jamestown Visitor Center is on the western end of the Colonial Pkwy. An orientation program, models, dioramas, paintings and 17th-century objects portray the story of the Jamestown National Historic Site. Visitors can watch glass-blowing demonstrations at the reconstructed glasshouse near the park entrance. Nearby, the original ruins of Jamestown's 1608 glass furnace are all that remain of the colony's dream of a livelihood from glassmaking. Ranger-led walking tours and an audiotape driving tour are available.

Admission:  Admission included with Jamestown National Historic Site

Hours:   Daily 9-5; closed Dec. 25

 

 

Magazine and Guardhouse

103 E. Duke of Gloucester St.
Williamsburg, VA 23187 USA

 

Magazine and Guardhouse is on Market Square Green. The storehouse for arms and ammunition was built in 1715. The magazine displays firearms and military artifacts.

Admission:  Admission included with Colonial Williamsburg multiple admission tickets

Hours:   Daily 9-6, with extended hours during peak seasons. Holiday hours may vary

 

 

Moore House

106 Hamilton Rd., Yorktown, VA 23690 USA

 

Moore House is accessible from the Yorktown Battlefield tour route. The commissioners from the combined American and French armies met with British representatives on Oct. 18, 1781, in the house and drafted the terms of Gen. Charles Cornwallis' surrender.

 

 

Muscarelle Museum of Art

Williamsburg, VA USA

Phone: (757) 221-2700

 

Muscarelle Museum of Art is on Jamestown Rd. (SR 31) at College of William and Mary. More than 3,500 works of art are featured, including the first piece donated to the collection in 1732. The museum also houses national traveling exhibits.

Admission:  Galleries free. Special exhibitions $5, under 12 free

Hours:   Wed. and Sat.-Sun. noon-4, Thurs.-Fri. 10-4:45; closed holidays

 

 

The Music Theater of Williamsburg

3012 Richmond Rd., Williamsburg, VA 23185 USA

Phone: (757) 564-0200

 

The Music Theater of Williamsburg is 2 mi. w. on US 60. Music, comedy and family entertainment are featured. Allow 2 hours minimum.

Admission:  Admission $21-$26; ages 8-18, $14-$19. Reservations are recommended

Hours:   Shows are presented Mon.-Sat. at 8 p.m., Mar.-Dec.

Credit Cards:   DS, MC, VI

 

 

The Music Theater of Williamsburg

3012 Richmond Rd., Williamsburg, VA 23185 USA

Phone: (757) 564-0200

 

The Music Theater of Williamsburg is 2 mi. w. on US 60. Music, comedy and family entertainment are featured. Allow 2 hours minimum.

Admission:  Admission $21-$26; ages 8-18, $14-$19. Reservations are recommended

Hours:   Shows are presented Mon.-Sat. at 8 p.m., Mar.-Dec.

Credit Cards:   DS, MC, VI

 

 

Nelson House

508 Main St., Yorktown, VA 23690 USA

 

Nelson House is at the s.w. corner of Main and Nelson sts .Built about 1729, the Georgian-style house was owned by Gen. Thomas Nelson Jr., a signer of the Declaration of Independence.

 

 

New Towne

1 Colonial Pkwy., Jamestown, VA 23081 USA

 

New Towne is on the western end of the Colonial Pkwy. The site includes numerous 17th-century buildings as well as the ruins of Ambler House and the New Towne section of old James City, which developed during the 1620s. The old streets are open, and sites of former structures are marked along a 1-mile self-guiding walking trail.

 

 

North Bend Plantation

12200 Weyanoke Rd., Charles City, VA 23030 USA

Phone: (804) 829-5176

 

North Bend Plantation is 1 mi. e. on SR 5, then 1 mi. s. on CR 619 to 12200 Weyanoke Rd. The 1819 Greek Revival-style house was built by John Minge for his wife Sarah Harrison, sister of William Henry Harrison. Other original buildings on the grounds include a dairy barn and a smokehouse. House tours are available by appointment.

Admission:  Grounds $3; ages 8-18, $1. A grounds and gardens combination ticket with Edgewood, Piney Grove at Southall's Plantation and Westover is available

Hours:   Grounds daily 9-5

 

 

Old Church Tower

1 Colonial Pkwy., Jamestown, VA 23081 USA

 

Old Church Tower is on the western end of the Colonial Pkwy. at Jamestown National Historic Site. The only surviving ruin of the 17th-century town was the tower of Jamestown's first brick church. Begun in 1639, it was used until about 1750. Memorial tablets mark the foundations of an earlier wooden church, built in 1617, where the first assembly met. It is estimated that hundreds of burials took place in the church graveyard. A wooden cross was erected in 1957 in memory of those who died during the first years of the settlement.

 

 

The Original Ghosts of Williamsburg Candlelight Tour

1310 Jamestown Rd., Williamsburg, VA 23185 USA

Phone: (757) 253-1058

 

The Original Ghosts of Williamsburg Candlelight Tour departs from Barnes & Noble on Duke of Gloucester St. Guided tours explore the streets of Williamsburg by lantern. Based on the works of author L.B. Taylor Jr., the narrative incorporates folklore and local history. Allow 1 hour, 30 minutes minimum.

Admission:  Fee $9, under 7 free. Tickets are sold at the Williamsburg Attraction Center at Prime Outlets Mall on US 60W. Reservations are required

Hours:   Tours depart nightly at 8 (also 8:45, June-Aug.); closed major holidays

Credit Cards:   AE, DS, MC, VI

 

 

Peyton Randolph House

100 E. Nicholson St., Williamsburg, VA 23187 USA

 

Peyton Randolph House faces Market Square Green. The home of the president of the First and Second Continental Congresses was a gathering place for leaders of the Virginia colony. A bedroom paneled in oak is the only known room of its kind in the area.

Admission:  Admission included with Colonial Williamsburg multiple admission tickets

Hours:   Sat.-Thurs. 9-5, with extended hours during peak seasons. Holiday hours may vary

 

 

Piney Grove at Southall's Plantation

16920 Southall Plantation Ln., Charles City, VA 23030 USA

Phone: (804) 829-2480

 

Piney Grove at Southall's Plantation is .1 mi. e. on SR 5, then 6 mi. n. on CR 615 to 16920 Southall Plantation Ln. A collection of buildings that exemplify regional architectural styles includes Piney Grove, a late 18th-century log house built on site by Furneau Southall. Among the structures moved to the grounds are a modest 1835 plantation house and an 1857 post-and-beam residence. Gardens and a nature trail also are on the property. Allow 30 minutes minimum.

Admission:  Admission $3. A combination ticket with Edgewood, North Bend Plantation and Westover is available

Hours:   Grounds are open for self-guiding tours daily 9-5

 

 

Powhatan Indian Village

SR 31S, Jamestown, VA 23081 USA

 

Powhatan Indian Village is at Jamestown Settlement. The lifestyle of the 17th-century Powhatan Indians is presented as it was encountered by the English settlers in 1607. The village, which consists of several houses, a garden and a ceremonial dance circle, is based on archeological findings, eyewitness drawings and accounts of the period. Costumed interpreters tend gardens, twist grass into rope, scrape out canoes and make tools.

Admission:  Admission included with Jamestown Settlement

 

 

Public Gaol

461 E. Nicholson St., Williamsburg, VA 23187 USA

 

Public Gaol is at Nicholson St., near the Capitol. This 1704 jail with 18th-century additions is completely restored and includes an early form of indoor plumbing and cells for criminals.

Admission:  Admission included with Colonial Williamsburg multiple admission tickets

Hours:   Mon.-Sat. 9-5, with extended hours during peak seasons. Holiday hours may vary

 

 

Public Hospital of 1773

325 W. Francis St., Williamsburg, VA 23187 USA

 

Public Hospital of 1773 is on the s.e. corner of Francis and Henry sts. This building was reconstructed on the original site of the Public Hospital for Persons of Insane and Disordered Minds. Opened in 1773, it was the first public institution in the English Colonies devoted solely to the treatment of mental illness. An exhibit on the first floor focuses on the history of the hospital. Other subjects addressed are the underlying reasons for the facility's establishment, its doctors, patients and methods of treatment.

Admission:  Admission included with Colonial Williamsburg multiple admission tickets

Hours:   Daily 11-6

 

 

Raleigh Tavern

410 E. Duke of Gloucester St., Williamsburg, VA 23187 USA

 

Raleigh Tavern is on Duke of Gloucester St. near the Capitol. Erected before 1742, the tavern became a center of social and political life before the Revolution. George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and Patrick Henry are a few of the patriots who helped make history here. It was in the Apollo Room that students at the College of William and Mary are said to have founded the Phi Beta Kappa Society in 1776. The building was reconstructed after a fire destroyed it in 1859.

Admission:  Admission included with Colonial Williamsburg multiple admission tickets

Hours:   Tues.-Sun. 9-5, with extended hours during peak seasons. Holiday hours may vary

 

 

Shirley Plantation

501 Shirley Plantation Rd., Charles City, VA 23030 USA

Phone: (800) 232-1613

 

Shirley Plantation is 9.5 mi. w. via SR 5 to 501 Shirley Plantation Rd. The plantation has been owned by the Hill and Carter families since 1638 and is purported to be the oldest continuously owned family business in the United States. The present mansion, built in 1723, was the birthplace of Anne Hill Carter and the setting for her marriage to “Light Horse” Harry Lee. In later years their son, Gen. Robert E. Lee, was a frequent visitor. Family portraits, silver and furniture handed down for 11 generations still grace the mansion, which sits on a bluff of the James River. A carved-walnut staircase rises three stories without visible support and is said to be the only one of its kind in America. The plantation also includes four brick outbuildings set in a Queen Anne-style courtyard. A stable, smokehouse and dovecote are other original structures. Allow 1 hour minimum.

Admission:  Admission $10.50; over 60, $9.50; ages 6-18, $7; active military with ID free

Hours:   Grounds daily 9-5. House daily 9-5; closed Thanksgiving and Dec. 25

Credit Cards:   AE, MC, VI

 

 

Statue of John Smith

1 Colonial Pkwy., Jamestown, VA 23081 USA

 

Statue of John Smith overlooks the James River in Old Towne. Created by William Cooper, the statue was erected in 1909.

 

 

Statue of Pocahontas

1 Colonial Pkwy., Jamestown, VA 23081 USA

 

Statue of Pocahontas is in Old Towne. The work of William Ordway Partridge was erected in 1922 to honor the American Indian princess who befriended the Jamestown settlers.

 

 

Swan Tavern Group

300 Main St., Yorktown, VA 23690 USA

 

Swan Tavern Group is at Main and Ballard sts. The original 18th-century buildings—a tavern, kitchen, smokehouse and stable—were destroyed when a Union Army powder magazine in the York County Courthouse across the street exploded in December 1863. These reconstructions are of interest for their exterior appearance.

 

 

Tercentenary Monument

1 Colonial Pkwy., Jamestown, VA 23081 USA

 

Tercentenary Monument is on the western end of the Colonial Pkwy .Erected in 1907, the monument commemorated the 300th anniversary of the Jamestown colony's founding.

 

 

Washington's Headquarters Site

Yorktown, VA USA

 

Washington's Headquarters Site is outside town. This stop on the 9-mile Encampment Drive is near other sites including the French Cemetery and the French Artillery Park.

 

 

Watermen's Museum

309 Water St., Yorktown, VA 23690 USA

Phone: (757) 887-2641

 

Watermen's Museum is e. on SR 238 to 309 Water St. Five galleries portray the history of Virginia's watermen, who worked on or with the waters of the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries. Exhibits include ship models, paintings, dioramas, photographs and tools.

Admission:  Admission $3; ages 6-18, $1

Hours:   Tues.-Sat. 10-4, Sun. 1-4, Apr. 1-Thanksgiving; Sat. 10-4, Sun. 1-4, rest of year. Schedule may vary; phone ahead

 

 

Wetherburn's Tavern

403 E. Duke of Gloucester St., Williamsburg, VA 23187 USA

 

Wetherburn's Tavern is on the s. side of Duke of Gloucester St. near the Capitol. George Washington frequently visited this tavern, which figured prominently in the commercial life of Williamsburg and has been in continuous use for more than 200 years.

Admission:  Admission included with Colonial Williamsburg multiple admission tickets

Hours:   Mon.-Tues. and Fri.-Sat. 9-5, with extended hours during peak seasons. Holiday hours may vary

 

 

Williamsburg Winery

5800 West Hundred, Williamsburg, VA 23185 USA

Phone: (757) 229-0999

 

Hours:   Mon.-Sat. 10-5:30, Sun. noon-5:30; closed Jan. 1, Jan. 15-Feb. 15, Thanksgiving and Dec. 25

 

 

Wren Building

Williamsburg, VA USA

Phone: (757) 221-1540

 

Wren Building is at the w. end of Duke of Gloucester St. at College of William and Mary. The design of the building, which dates from 1695, has been attributed to English architect Sir Christopher Wren. Although damaged by three fires, the outer walls are still largely original. The chapel, great hall, convocation room and a classroom have been furnished to appear as they probably did in the 18th century. This is said to be the oldest academic building still in use in the United States.

Admission:  Free

Hours:   Mon.-Fri. 10-5, Sat. 9-5, Sun. noon-5

 

 

Wythe House

101 Palace Green St., Williamsburg, VA 23187 USA

 

Wythe House faces Palace Green s. of Prince George St.Built in the mid-18th century, the house was occupied from about 1755 to 1791 by George Wythe, one of the period's most prominent lawyers. He was Thomas Jefferson's and John Marshall's teacher, a signer of the Declaration of Independence and the first law professor in an American college.

Admission:  Admission included with Colonial Williamsburg multiple admission tickets

Hours:   Thurs.-Tues. 9-5, with extended hours during peak seasons. Holiday hours may vary

 

 

York County Courthouse

300 Ballard St., Yorktown, VA 23690 USA

Phone: (757) 890-3350

 

York County Courthouse is at 300 Ballard St. Records date from 1633.

Admission:  Free

Hours:   Mon.-Fri. 8:15-5

 

 

Yorktown Arts Foundation—On the Hill

121 Alexander Hamilton Blvd., Yorktown, VA 23690 USA

Phone: (757) 898-3076

 

Yorktown Arts Foundation—On the Hill is at 121 Alexander Hamilton Blvd. The works of regional artists and craftsmen are featured.

Admission:  Free

Hours:   Tues.-Sat. 10-1 and 2-5; closed Thanksgiving and Dec. 25

 

 

Yorktown Battlefield

Main St. & Bacon St., Yorktown, VA 23690 USA

Phone: (757) 898-2410

 

Yorktown Battlefield is on the eastern end of the Colonial Pkwy. The last major battle of the Revolutionary War was fought here in 1781, when Gen. Charles Cornwallis sought to establish a British naval port at Yorktown with 8,300 soldiers. Gen. George Washington moved his American army into Virginia to reinforce the Marquis de Lafayette's allied forces; the French fleet blockaded Chesapeake Bay. Under siege by 17,600 Continental troops, Cornwallis surrendered.

Admission:  Admission $5, under 17 free

Hours:   Two self-guiding auto tours begin at the visitor center. The tour road is open daily 8-dusk

 

 

Yorktown Monument To Alliance and Victory

Main St. & Bacon St., Yorktown, VA 23690 USA

 

Yorktown Monument To Alliance and Victory is at Main St. The statue commemorates the alliance with France and the victory over the British.

 

 

Yorktown Victory Center

SR 238 & Colonial Pkwy., Yorktown, VA 23690 USA

Phone: (757) 253-4838

 

Yorktown Victory Center is off I-64 exit 247 on SR 1020 near the Colonial Pkwy. and US 17. This museum of the American Revolution chronicles the events leading up to the colonists' declaration of independence from Britain—and the impact of the war upon ordinary lives. The “Witnesses to Revolution” gallery presents the stories of 10 individuals who lived during this turbulent time. “Converging on Yorktown” describes the multinational nature of forces that converged here in 1781. “Yorktown's Sunken Fleet” reveals the history of the Betsy and other British ships scuttled or lost during the siege. Daily life during the Revolution is re-created in an outdoor Continental Army encampment and a 1780s farm where costumed interpreters demonstrate firing muskets and a cannon, discuss 18th-century medical practices, prepare meals, plant and cultivate crops and process fiber for cloth .Other exhibits relate the experiences of Revolutionary soldiers and describe the final step in America's journey to nationhood—the development of the Constitution and Bill of Rights. Allow 2 hours minimum.

Admission:  Admission $8.25; ages 6-12, $4. Combination ticket with Jamestown Settlement $16.75; ages 6-12, $8.25

Hours:   Daily 9-6, June 15-Aug. 15; 9-5, rest of year. Closed Jan. 1 and Dec. 25

 

 

Yorktown Visitor Center

1000 Colonial Pkwy., Yorktown, VA 23690 USA

Phone: (757) 898-2410

 

Yorktown Visitor Center is .75 mi. s. of Yorktown on the edge of town, at the e. end of the Colonial Pkwy. The center includes an observation deck, a reconstructed section of a gun deck and a British frigate captain's cabin. A 16-minute film relates the events of the siege. The automobile tours begin at this point; self-guiding tour leaflets and taped tours of the battlefield are available.

Admission:  Admission included with Yorktown Battlefield. Audiotape tour $2 rental with recorder

Hours:   Daily 9-5; closed Dec. 25